Thursday, March 27, 2008

Welcome to GIS Coder!

Welcome to GIS Coder, a blog about all things GIS. We're going to start this blog with a focus on the technical side of GIS programming, though we may very well branch into other aspects of GIS.

By way of introduction, I'm Joel Odom, a research scientist at Georgia Tech. I'm in the FalconView department, and I specialize on the integration of FalconView and ArcGIS. Because of my background, you'll find me initially doing a lot of talking about these programs. I'm going to dive into technical aspects as much as my professional responsibilities allow. As a government funded academic researcher, I expect to get a lot of leeway in sharing my research.

My aim in this blog is to promote information sharing within the GIS community, to promote the FalconView program - a highly successful program of which I'm proud to be a part - and to promote my own professional development by forcing myself to think outside the walls of my office as I share technology, ideas and news. That's how the blog is going to start - we'll see where it goes.

The layout and format of this blog will change over time. The style of the blog - now informal - and the content of the blog will also surely evolve over time. I'm open to outside writers and welcome all feedback via the comment system. Comment moderation will initially be disabled, though I may choose to moderate comments if that becomes a problem.

(Because FalconView was mostly developed under Department of Defense funding, there are some aspects of the FalconView program which are "sensitive." By and large, FalconView is, in and of itself, unclassified and not sensitive, though it is export-controlled. There is a movement underway to create a version of FalconView which is available to export, maybe even open-source. For more information on the FalconView program itself, you may contact me directly, or you may contact the FalconView program manager at Georgia Tech. Be assured that nothing on this blog will touch on technology that compromises security or intellectual property rights.)

No comments: